About Me

My photo
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Independent author and amateur beefcake

Sunday, November 13, 2011

Malware and Wrimo

Well, boy and ghouls, seems as though my computer has a virus.  Or I should say multiple viruses.  One's that like to hide from AVG and Norton.  Clever ones that change the way they look and replicate, when an attempt is made to ride my hard drive of them.  My computer is slow and I can't search for anything online, my web browsers, Chrome and Firefox and IE, all get redirected to another page.  I've done some research into the matter and repeatedly, online, having to use my iPhone to surf the web, due to the previously mentioned matter, I'm reading that a new hard drive is in order, as the virus is quite the persistent little bugger.

Sadly I can't even use my computer to just write, as the whole system is slower, to the point that the mouse stops moving every few seconds and then nothing responds for another few seconds and then it all starts over again.

I kept my old lap top, not really knowing what to do with it, when I had bought a new one, a year ago, so I'll try to use that one, but it's pretty unreliable, as well, mostly from old age, more than anything.

This certainly makes a case to go mac, I have to say, as I didn't download anything to get this virus.  I'm smart enough to not click on suspicious links and clever enough to not enter credit card numbers when they're not required.

I've spent the better part of the past three or four days trying to get my computer working again and I'm pretty much at my whits end.  There's only so many times you can go into your task manager, delete something, reboot the system, only to have everything start all over, because the virus keeps relocating itself onto the hard drive somewhere else.

What this means for the novel writing, for now?  I'm not sure.  I guess it's on hold for the time being, until I can get either the virus off this computer or my old computer working at a normal clip, without shutting down, for no apparent reason.I guess

I'll begin a savings account for a macbook and wait it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment